John Ward’s Insurance Services Group handles all facets of complex insurance and reinsurance claims, litigation, appeals, and arbitration.
John Ward’s lawyers have represented many of the world’s largest insurers in a broad array of complex coverage matters. In addition to representing insurers in litigation and arbitrations, the firm provides guidance and counseling regarding the myriad issues that arise during the handling of a claim. The firm’s insurance coverage practice has included the following areas:
- Pharmaceutical and other life sciences liabilities.
- Asbestos and asbestos bankruptcy litigation, including challenges to policyholders’ pre-packaged bankruptcy, plans under Section 524(g) of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Bad faith litigation arising from claims for business interruption, fidelity, construction defect, excess verdict, and UM/UIM;
- Intellectual property litigation, including the extent to which personal and advertising injury coverage may respond to claims for trademark, patent or copyright infringement;
- First-party property claims;
- Duty to defend issues;
- Sexual abuse and assault claims involving religious and other not-for-profit organizations;
- Environmental and other long-tail liabilities under both general liability policies and pollution specialty policies; and
- Construction defect litigation, including claims involving fire retardant plywood, EIFS, and other building products.
Our attorneys also have long-standing relationships with domestic and international reinsurers, and we have represented ceding companies, reinsurers, and parties to retrocessional contracts in litigation and arbitration. The firm has also provided counsel at various stages of non-litigated reinsurance claims.
Our reinsurance practice has included disputes involving workers’ compensation, medical malpractice, professional liability, asbestos, environmental property damage, financial transactions, and proper loss allocation in reinsurance billings.